Responsible for assisting the Lead Teacher and Assistant Teacher in developing and implementing a program of activities that promotes the social, emotional and physical development of each child enrolled in a group in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards. The duties and responsibilities will be carried out under the direction of the Lead Teacher.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain a well-organized, safe and attractive classroom environment conducive to the optimal growth and development of children.
- Develop a positive relationship with each child and promote the development of self-esteem and self-discipline.
- Assist Lead Teacher in planning and implementing the daily program of activities based on principles of child development and in accordance with the program’s curriculum.
- Observe each child daily to assess skills, interests, and needs and use this information to facilitate learning and growth.
- Establish a positive relationship with each child’s family and share information about the child’s day at the Center.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Interest in working with children aged 6 weeks – 5 years old.
- Enthusiasm and reliability.
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Must be able to supply a yearly certificate of good health/documentation of Tuberculin-free condition.
- Must obtain a criminal background check.
- Be able to lift 25-30 lbs.
- Be able to walk, squat/kneel, sit on floor, see, hear, speak with children to ensure children’s health and safety
Each volunteer will be provided with a 45 min – 1 hour training session, which includes background information on population served at the center, information on services rendered at the center, introduction to the center and staff, and center policies for volunteers
- Opportunity to make a difference in the lives of preschool aged children.
- Classroom experience to match textbook knowledge of Early Childhood Education.
- Service learning or class credits